Re: Debian Consulting

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:44:18 -0700 (PDT), Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com> said:

>> > Like I said before, though, most developers do not care about
>> > user base.  Even though users become developers and admins which
>> > steam roll into a better distro, few are shooting for breadth of
>> > appeal.  I'm sure other people have some better ideas.
>>
>> The kind of people who become future developers are unlikely to be
>> hastened on their path by superior marketing.

> All people are introduced to debian before they become debian
> developers.  I think we should introduce more people to debian, lots
> more.  Call that what you will.

	Not all things are meant for all people. And Debian certainly
 is not the desired OS for all people -- and thus we would be doing
 those users a disservice by trying to "market" Debian to them.

	Personally, I think the people Debian is targeted towards are
 already aware of it. However, I don't mean to discourage people who
 think that maketing is important, and want to do something about it.
 Past experience has taught me to be leery of marketing plans, but I
 freely admit to being biased.

	I am not going to speak to this issue again, since I have
 little constructive to add at the moment.

	manoj

--
"I woudn't recommend sex, drugs, or Unix for everyone, but they work
for me." Jim Thompson (jthomp@central.sun.com), paraphrasing Hunter