Re: Debian Consulting

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:08:16 -0700 (PDT), Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com> said:
>
> > For me, this frames the problem: So how do we market debian if the
> > developers aren't interested and we won't form a commercial
> > organization to do it?  So far all I can do is start where I am and
> > show debian to others.  A user friendly installer would be a huge
> > help.  When I can give a cd to my grandma, and she can boot debian,
> > knoppix-like, and just start working, we've completely arrived
> > there.
>
> 	Since Knoppix uses Debian, why not start there? Or help with
>  the Debian installer project, to help Debian get there?

Because I work on phone systems, and support the developers of such.
When those problems have been solved, I may start on another.

> > Like I said before, though, most developers do not care about user
> > base.  Even though users become developers and admins which steam
> > roll into a better distro, few are shooting for breadth of appeal.
> > I'm sure other people have some better ideas.
>
> 	The kind of people who become future developers are unlikely
>  to be hastened on their path by superior marketing.

All people are introduced to debian before they become debian
developers.  I think we should introduce more people to debian, lots
more.  Call that what you will.

-Rich

--
Rich Bodo | rsb@ostel.com | 650-964-4678