Re: consulting rates

--- "J. Paul Bruns-Bielkowicz" <debian-user@clubamerica.eu.org> wrote:
> >$3000 per day isn't unheard of.

For linux ???

> A co-operative or world-wide consulting firm, hmm... I'll find room on my
> server for something like that.

I formed CXN, Inc to be just that where I would build perl into a universal
front
end for (lin|un)ix.  I talked to people all over and the idea seemed a
no-brainer.

But.... the new economy crashed.

My plan was to restore a steel yacht and build a big circular mountain house.
Management training of course.  There is such a mountain house, tho not for
sale,
and two yacht hulls half finished wainting for elbow grease and capital.

I originally planned to build around Java, but perl is the speak of the admin.
Perl seems to have gone nuts over the past two years, probably becuse the gurus
were assimilated by Micro$oft.

That leaves Ruby.  I joined the mailing list and found a wonderful crew, many
of
them Perl expaitriots.  Matz, the author, runs a tight ship :)

Ruby was borne of perl but fully object oriented from the word go, even python
cant say that.

I also have interested partners, but we are still recovering from the damage
done
to the small and tech economies by Al Greenspan and the Board of Governors of
the the "free" market.

There is no question in my mind that this can succeed and we can make about
1K$US perl, err per, day... with 1/3 going to the cooperative corp.

I also would like to see the coop be a family of sorts providing education,
recreation and leadership skills to the inevitable offspring.

Independant constulting has fallen off becuase conglomeration at the high end.
Chrysler - Benz ???  Mixing crap w/ treasure, a good example of how corp
management shoots itself in the foot trying to build global control structures
no
different than the soviet model.

Over the past decade I have been able to work for "rebel" managers, those who
choose to perserve their values.  This is no longer however, even the new
economy managers deny the strength of the individual in terms of productivity
while the human rescources propaganda machine tells us to have all these human
values.

I have never met a technician who has ever had a good review.

I refer to all of this in terms of soul-sucking and the corpus corruptus.

BTW, is this list being pipermailed to the UseNet ??? ;)

BTW, the perl code I wrote to run these systems has its roots in
http://puny.vm.com , the editor I built for it ( an earlier toolkit ) is at
http://puny.vm.com/cgi-bin/depth , dont worry you can click on anything there.

John

=====