Re: consulting rates

On Saturday 26 May 2001 16:57, John van V. wrote:
> --- "J. Paul Bruns-Bielkowicz" <debian-user@clubamerica.eu.org> wrote:
> > >$3000 per day isn't unheard of.
>
> For linux ???

Correct.  However such rates are significantly rarer for Linux work than for
work on Solaris or other commercial Unix variants.  Solaris work sometimes
pays rates of 3000UK pounds per day (a pound is worth more than a dollar).

However most people who do such work are in one of two categories:
1)  They work as an employee of a large consulting company and receive a
small fraction of the money;
2)  They run their own small consulting company and spend so much time doing
background research to have the skills needed to charge such rates that they
effectively don't earn a great deal of money.

What I want is to spend most of my time getting a moderate amount of money
with the occasional day or two spend earning some stupidly high rate.  ;)

> I also have interested partners, but we are still recovering from the
> damage done
> to the small and tech economies by Al Greenspan and the Board of Governors
> of the the "free" market.

Blaming them does no good.  They are part of the environment that we work in.
I could list 100 more worthy targets of blame and still not achieve anything.

> There is no question in my mind that this can succeed and we can make about
> 1K$US perl, err per, day... with 1/3 going to the cooperative corp.

That doesn't sound like an attractive deal to me.  With 1/3rd of the revenue
going to such a co-operative then I may as well work for one of the many
small consulting companies that are already established or just continue
doing contract work through recruiting agencies that advertise on the net.

> I also would like to see the coop be a family of sorts providing education,
> recreation and leadership skills to the inevitable offspring.
>
> Independant constulting has fallen off becuase conglomeration at the high
> end. Chrysler - Benz ???  Mixing crap w/ treasure, a good example of how
> corp management shoots itself in the foot trying to build global control
> structures no
> different than the soviet model.

In recent times consulting has fallen off because of the economy hitting a
down-turn.  Which was inevitable following all the dot-com stupidity.

> I have never met a technician who has ever had a good review.

Really?  After the parts about disobeying direct orders from managers have
been dealt with my reviews have gone fairly well.  ;)

On Friday 25 May 2001 18:44, Dale E Martin wrote:
> > >To get the good money you need a consulting company of some sort.  I am
> > >currently considering how to setup some sort of company or co-operative
> > > to achieve better rates.  The market isn't so good now, maybe in 6
> > > months time I will move on this.
> >
> > A co-operative or world-wide consulting firm, hmm... I'll find room on my
> > server for something like that.
>
> There is one that's not linux specific already - check out www.rmpcp.com.
> They seem to be all about making sure that their consultant's pass the IRS
> "20 questions" that determine if you're an employee or not.  I've exchange
> email with the guy in charge there, and asked for more info in the past,
> but currently have no other affiliation with these guys.

IRS seems to imply the USA.  Does this mean that they are a single-country
organization?

What I have in mind would involve multinational work by necessity.  If
someone in a neighboring country wants to pay some silly amount of money
including air-fares would you say no?

Another factor is the locations of the skilled people.  While the
out-sourcing of work to places like India with low pay rates is very much
over-rated in every sense, there is a significant number of skilled
programmers who (for a variety of reasons) are unwilling or unable to change
countries permanently.  Arranging work that involves a few short visits to
the client country and the rest of the work over the net has great promise.

If this is taken on then it leads on to further opportunities.  If you
undertake a significant project (say 3-4 months of non-stop coding) then you
might find it more productive to live somewhere other than a major city.  It
had occurred to me that you could find a hotel in a less affluent country
where the costs of having everything provided for you is less than the cost
of rent in a major city.