Re: Global networking change in our AWS accounts

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 01:05:01PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 08:01:55AM -0300, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> > For ci, we are working with the security team on testing embargoed
> > security updates, and for that we need a unique IP address, because it
> > will be added to an ACL on the security repository side.
>
> You mean via https://security-master.debian.org/debian-security-buildd?
>
> > I would like the central server to have its unique public IPv4 address
> > for this.
>
> None of the IP addresses you can assign are actually stable.  The best
> approximation comes in form of a complete IPv6 subnet, aka a /64 where
> only your stuff with security access runs.

What's different in this account from the old one? I don't remember
the IP address of ci.debian.net ever needing to change, why is it that
we can't get an stable IP address in this account?

> > > - IPv4 incoming will _not_ work with a public IP assigned to an
> > >   instance, and
> > > - IPv4-only or (better) dual-stack network load balancers can be used
> > >   for stuff like HTTP access for users.
> > This means that all incoming HTTP access has to go through the admins
> > first. Is there a way to do this without creating a bottleneck or a
> > SPoF?
>
> I have not decided how that should work.  Actually I added the
> permissions required to manage load balancers.  We can however also
> pre-create it and only let you decide where to route the traffic.

I would prefer that we are able to manage any load balancers by
ourselves.

On the other hand, a problem with this is that we will suddenly be
depending on a proprietary piece of infrastructure. i.e. both
certificate management and actual http routing are now provided by a
opaque box that we have no visibility into. Also I would need to change
the ci.debian.net configuration management to handle the fact that it
would now be behind a load balancer, and if we ever need to move
elsewhere, I need to make changes again.