overlayroot removed in 2013, put back please?

in 2013 "remove overlayroot completely from cloud-initramfs-tools"
overlayroot useless without kernel module overlayfs

The situation has changed in the meantime:
/lib/modules/5.10.0-9-amd64/kernel/fs/overlayfs/overlay.ko

I'll be happy to test, it should be easy as overlayroot has not
changed in 9 years:
https://github.com/larsks/cloud-initramfs-tools/tree/master/overlayroot

if I wget/install from ubuntu's repo, it works.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/overlayroot

ps - there is bilibop-lockfs, but it does not work with nfs, which is
a solution for  netbooting diskless clients. Which is what I am doing.

"This package can be used as an alternative to fsprotect or overlayroot,"
https://packages.debian.org/stable/bilibop-lockfs

bilibop-lockfs tries to determine the block device / is mounted on,
and doesn't accommodate nfs.  overlayroot works because it -o move
whatever is mounted.

Given it fails for the nfs case, should I file a bug against
bilibop-lockfs docs?

--
Carl K