Re: Oracle Cloud Infrastructure introduction

On 10/28/20 5:18 PM, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 04:58:55PM -0700, Paul Graydon wrote:
Okay, I'm getting confused here.  These restrictions don't seem to match
with the previous message, so I'm assuming I misunderstood something.  I
think this may hinge around what is meant by "official" images.
Official images are published by Debian.  If Oracle chooses to publish
images, those are by definition unofficial.  You have a lot more freedom
about how you build them and what you include in them, and you can still
use Debian trademarks subject to the trademark guidelines and various
copyright licenses.  If you want to add additional software beyond
what's in Debian to the images, then this is probably the way to go.

It reads like Google is building images based off your tooling, adding their
own repositories and packages from them.  Your first restriction would
suggest that they shouldn't be installing their own software, and the second
that images can only be made in your infrastructure.  I guess the third
restriction ties in to that too, because if Google is building and adding
the packages, presumably it's not via an account that spi-inc controls?
Google's images are not "officially Debian".

noah

Okay, that makes sense.  That's what I was assuming was going to be the case.  Thanks for the clarification!

Paul