Re: Oracle Cloud Infrastructure introduction

Hi Paul,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 02:31:21PM -0700, Paul Graydon wrote:
> My name is Paul Graydon, I'm one of the engineers in Compute at Oracle Cloud
> Infrastructure (OCI).  We would like to work with you to bring Debian
> on-board as a platform image, and we'd like to understand what that process
> would entail.

Welcome back!  OCI would be welcome to build and contribute support to our
repo.  The cloud team uses the tools & config in this repo:
https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images/

For someone looking to implement OCI-specific builds, the most important bits
to check out are:
- config_space: contains the FAI config for image builds, including the
  provider-specific setup
- src: a python tool to simplify builds, and manage image uploads and releases
- .gitlab-ci.yml: a pipeline that actually runs all of the builds

debian-cloud-images uses apache libcloud, but OCI is not listed as a supported
provider at [1].  You might first need to add support to libcloud.

> Due to the way that our architecture is structured, and particularly with
> bare metal involved where we use iSCSI root drives, we typically require
> custom configuration changes and packages installed in images to run on our
> cloud.

If all of those required components are already in Debian, it should be
straightforward to adapt one of the existing FAI configs.  It'd be useful to
see & compare the generic image with either azure or ec2.

If not, it'd be ideal to get the required software packaged.  But if that's
impossible, it might still be nice to build support for unofficial images.  In
this case, gce provides a good example.

Ross

[1] - https://libcloud.readthedocs.io/en/stable/supported_providers.html