Oracle Cloud Infrastructure introduction

Hi all,

It has been a while since I last posted on this list, so I figure it's best if I start out with a fresh introduction.

My name is Paul Graydon, I'm one of the engineers in Compute at Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI).  We would like to work with you to bring Debian on-board as a platform image, and we'd like to understand what that process would entail.

My team within Compute is responsible for what we call "platform images", the generally available images that we publish for customers to use, which are presented to customers when they go to launch an instance.  With platform images we take responsibility for ingesting (or generating, where vendors or distributions prefer us to create our own), testing, and publishing images to each of our regions, every month.  We also take on responsibility for qualifying images to work on forthcoming hardware shapes, and work with relevant parties to make any necessary changes required.  At the moment "Platform Images" encompasses various flavours of Oracle Linux, CentOS, Ubuntu and Windows.

OCI offers a variety of cloud instance configurations, including first class support for Bare Metal (BM) instances, as well as the more typical Virtual Machine (VM) instances.  One of the things we try to target is full support of migration between both BM and VM, to give customers as seamless a scaling story as possible, as well as the option to potentially prototype their work on cheap VMs, with a view to a BM migration for their production workloads.  Due to the way that our architecture is structured, and particularly with bare metal involved where we use iSCSI root drives, we typically require custom configuration changes and packages installed in images to run on our cloud.

Regards,

Paul Graydon