Re: Oracle Cloud Infrastructure introduction

On 10/27/20 4:43 AM, Adam Dobrawy wrote:
W dniu 27.10.2020 o 00:28, Paul Graydon pisze:
Almost everything will already be covered by standard packages and
configuration changes.  It's nothing particularly exotic.

There is one component that is not in the Debian repositories, the
Oracle Cloud Agent, which we're looking at open sourcing.  Its primary
responsibility is for emitting metrics from instances.  We package
this in a number of formats and have available for installation.

For Canonical to do the installation in the Ubuntu images they produce
for us, we have it packaged as a snap.  I can see that snapd is in the
Debian repositories, so theoretically we can publish and install via
that mechanism, but would that be something that is acceptable to the
Debian Cloud team for official images?  If not, would it need to be in
Debian repositories, or can we just repackage it as a DEB and install
it direct from a publicly accessible external URL?

Paul

Hi Paul,

If you are considering installations directly from the Deb package, how
do you consider the client software update procedure when the virtual
machine has been running for a while? Snapd has a built-in mechanism for
installing and distributing updates.

Kind regards,
Adam Dobrawy

That's a good call out.  We have a self-updating mechanism built in to the RPM variant of the agent, and the core logic of it was built sufficiently generically that we should be able to adapt it to handle DEB packages, if that's the route we end up going here.

Paul