Re: Building cloud images using Debian infrastructure

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 03:06:53PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Right now this layers are:
> - gitlab: repository store, job scheduler
> - gitlab-runner: job executor
> - docker-machine: VM handling with docker and directly supported by
>   gitlab-runner
> - docker: runtime environment within transient VM
> - gitlab ci script: just a script
> - fai class wrapper
> - fai

casulana is also used to build the CD images. Currently, the scripts
that build the CD images execute a number of 'build jobs' in parallel,
effectively monopoloizing the machine. One of the things we could/should
do is turn those 'build jobs' things that can be executed by a scheduler
such as sge or gitlab-runner. Can we inject non-gitlab-originating jobs
into gitlab's scheduler?

The other thing we could do is set up system-wide semaphor that both
cd-build and gitlab-runner use, but i prefer the idea of enqueuing jobs
into SGE (or equivalent) and using appropriate parameters to identify
number of CPU/RAM/etc is available on the runner vs what a job needs.
That way, we make best use of casulana.

Thoughts?

--
Luca Filipozzi