Re: Building OpenStack images with bootstrap-vz and cloud-init ?

On 2017-02-07 13:45:55 +0100 (+0100), Olivier Berger wrote:
> This may be true post jessie, but AFAIU, the 'OpenStack' data source isn't
> supported out of the box in Jessie's version of cloud-init (see
> #841315), and one may have to explicitely customize with a change of the
> config file for it to be fully recognized. Still, ConfigDrive or the Ec2
> may be enough, depending on the target cloud.

For that matter, "good" (in my opinion) OpenStack service providers
hand out relevant network configuration via DHCP/SLAAC which
shouldn't need any special handling at all. ConfigDrive has the
potential downside of being static for the lifetime of the server
instance, while the EC2 metadata service is a horrible SPoF which
you often see overloaded and timing out requests causing instances
to fail to boot entirely.
--
Jeremy Stanley