Re: Building OpenStack images with bootstrap-vz and cloud-init ?

Hi.

Anders Ingemann <anders@ingemann.de> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 6:30 PM Olivier Berger <
> olivier.berger@telecom-sudparis.eu> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I haven't found yet any clear example of using bootstrap-vz to build
>> Debian images for OpenStack.
>>
>> I'd like to be able to do so, and I think cloud-init could help here,
>> with the cloud-init plugin in bootstrap-vz.
>>
>> My target would be the OVH public cloud, FWIW.
>>
>> Any one could provide an example (documented ?) manifest or other
>> reference, which would save me reimplementing the wheel, and could be
>> added, at least to https://github.com/andsens/bootstrap-vz/issues/185
>> maybe ?
>>
> Hi Olivier
>
> Checkout out the virtualbox provider (1) and its examples (2).
> It's as barebones and simple as it gets. Most of the custom tasks in that
> provider are just niceties, such as virtualbox guest additions.
> The rest is mostly pulled from the common taskset, where the task groups
> module (3) can assemble the appropriate tasks for you given a manifest,
> that part is completely provider agnostic.
> So in essence, copy & paste the vbox provider, removing the virtualbox
> specifics and then add some openstack niceties (like registering the image
> or similar things).
> If you don't want to go through the hassle of creating a new provider, you
> could probably just use virtualbox images without the guest additions.

I have already some basic knowledge of bootstrap-vz, which I've used
with VirtualBox and Vagrant providers, thanks. But I'm wondering whether
anyone documented the specifics of OpenStack.

Maybe you're missing some specifics of deploying the VM on the OpenStack
IaaS, which requires some provisioning at first boot (like setting some
specific way to connect to that specific VM instance: IP address and
user password for instance... well I'm guessing here, actually, as I
haven't checked how OpenStack does that).

AFAIU, that's the job that cloud-init does. And as there may be other
nifties involved, that's why I asked.

I doubt that the defaults of bootstrap-vz manifests for VirtualBox would
suffice here, or I underestimate Debian's magic ;-)

Thanks anyway.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER