Re: [vagrant] official Debian lxc boxes

Emmanuel,

On 9 February 2016 at 14:12, Emmanuel Kasper <emmanuel@libera.cc> wrote:
> * the image generated with boostrap-vz takes 10 seconds longer to boot
>  ( https://github.com/andsens/bootstrap-vz/issues/247 )

I know this is annoying, because this bug affects me as well, but this
is really a blocker?

> * it is not possible to embed a Vagrant file into the box, needed to
> override the Virtualbox shared folders with rsync

Having never used shared folders with rsync, I didn't knew that this
was a requirement. Can you please fill an issue?

> * I think the issue is now fixed, but I heard from Marcin in last
> debconf that it was problematic to build dkms modules inside the chroot,
> since the kernel version as seen in the chroot was the kernel version
> from the host.

There's no problem with different kernel versions anymore, just
different architectures[1].

> IMHO the VM/debian installer approach is technically better
> than the chroot / deboostrap approach for creating VM disk images.

I wouldn't say that they are better, but different. Please correct me
if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen, out-of-the-box bootstrap-vz
offers a level of customization that can only be achieved by VM/Debian
installer if you combine them with an orchestration tool (i.e.
Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc.).

> You use the field tested debian installer and avoid a whole class of
> bugs like this: https://github.com/andsens/bootstrap-vz/issues/245

I didn't understood this right. You mean a running kernel with already
working networking interfaces would have influence on this?

> Now VirtualBox is in contrib, so it is not possible to have a DFSG free
> toolchain based on Packer, and the real hardware requirement is too much
> in 2016, so I agree it's time to move on to something different, but I
> wanted to explaing why I used packer.

Thanks for taking the time to make this clear to us.

Regards,
Tiago.

[1]: https://github.com/andsens/bootstrap-vz/issues/222

--