Re: [vagrant] official Debian lxc boxes

On 05/02/2016 17:08, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
> Emmanuel,
>
> On 4 February 2016 at 21:53, Emmanuel Kasper <emmanuel@libera.cc> wrote:
>> Yes Steve from the  cd team agreed about the idea but nothing has been
>> done yet (everyone is busy, that's life) I am also considering looking
>> for a sponsor for a build server inside this list:
>> https://wiki.debian.org/ServicesHosting#Outside_the_Debian_infrastructure
>
> Looking though "debian-cd" archives, I've found a thread[1] where you
> talked with Steve McIntyre about this. Digging though the messages,
> there is no mention of how this would be done. Have you guys talked
> about the technical side of the proposal?
>
> For a simple start, I thought about a script that its input is how the
> image can be built (e.g. go to this directory and run this command).
> At the end of the process, it would save a fila containing all the
> relevant build information (e.g. has it failed? What packages have
> been installed? When it started and when it finished?). Then, in the
> following runs, it will use this information to decide if the image
> should be built again or not (e.g. has it failed in the last run? the
> last image was built over a week ago?).
>
> We could even use the Debian Security Announce RSS[2] to find out if a
> previously built image is vulnerable, comparing its package list with
> recent advisories.
>
> [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2015/10/msg00051.html
> [2]: https://www.debian.org/security/dsa

thanks for the ideas

at the moment the build process involves a Makefile with a target which
includes building, doing some tests, and optionnally upload the built
image to atlas

now this build could be triggered by a cron job daily or weekly (IIRC
what Ubuntu does), via jenkins after each commit, or after each stable
release

a big point here is that packer with the virtualbox provider requires
the build to be run on physical hardware, as virtualbox do not run
nested. Without this point, the build would already been moved to
debian-ci. A good point though is that the build process do not require
being root.