Re: Service names for Debian mirrors in cloud infrastructure

On 2016-01-11 11:25:36, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Quoting Bastian from his initial mail:
>
> | We at credativ maintain a Debian mirror network within the Microsoft
> | Azure cloud.  This mirror network is for use by other Debian systems
> | within this cloud infrastructure.  It should not be used by the public
> | internet.
>
> > Would ftp.aq.debian.org be available from anywhere we could use it. You
> > already explained that ex. (just theoretical name) ftp.azure.debian.org
> > wouldn't be available from outside Azure, so we couldn't use it.
>
> "It should not be used" != "wouldn't be available".

True

> Please read more careful.

I have to admit that from my side it was kind of simplification
(unintentional I have to add).

But if we're going into such detailed semantics would then 'should' mean it will
be available without any geographical, provider or any other kind of
restriction except self restriction users will put on them selfs to comply with
Azure request?

If that's the case I'm not convinced that it will work, but in such case I will
not oppose to assign d.o name to this mirror(s) on the same premise as other
mirrors are operating.

I still think that having this mirror integrated with httpredir.d.o is the best
option.

On 2016-01-11 15:37:43, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon Jan 11, 2016 at 21:46:15 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > There is one last point that I do not understand: why are you asking for
> > something in "mirrors.debian.[org|net]", instead of "ftp.azure.debian.org" or
> > something similar ?  The name "debian.mirrors.debian.org" in Bastian's original
> > email does not resolve, the Google query 'site:debian.org
> > "debian.mirrors.debian.org"' does not return an answer, so I do not get the
> > point.
>
> Our idea of this thread was to keep this thread cloud provider
> independent and find a solution that suites for all cloud providers.
>
> Background of this whole discussion is that the trademark team asked us
> to participate in a discussion on what generic rules for all cloud
> images should look like for Debian stretch. Mirror names is one of the
> low hanging fruits and so Bastian started with this. We will start more
> of these threads on the debian-cloud mailing lists in near future to
> participate in the process of shaping the rules.

So, having above in mind maybe it's worth to speak to MS (Azure) about
sponsoring mirror for Debian as a project which could be used as a default for
all Azure based images but with no limits on incoming and outgoing traffic and
then just add it to our mirror list?
--

|_|_|0|         "Heghlu'Meh QaQ jajVam"          |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x58C338B3
3DF1 A4DF C732 4688 38BC F121 6869 30DD  58C3 38B3