Re: Service names for Debian mirrors in cloud infrastructure

On 2016-01-11 09:24:50, Bastian Blank wrote:

snip

> I'm still not sure what difference it would make anyway.  Just assume we
> have a public mirror in antarctica with the name ftp.aq.debian.org.
> Even if it is public, you would not use it outside of antarctica anyway,
> as you know the internet connection there is crappy.

It's not about if we would but if we could.

Would ftp.aq.debian.org be available from anywhere we could use it. You
already explained that ex. (just theoretical name) ftp.azure.debian.org
wouldn't be available from outside Azure, so we couldn't use it.

That's the difference and that's why I'm against having Azure assigned DNS
record in the d.o domain.

If it can be integrated with httpredir.d.o as Martin wrote it'd be transparent
and I think that in such case hostname won't matter as much.
--

|_|_|0|         "Heghlu'Meh QaQ jajVam"          |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x58C338B3
3DF1 A4DF C732 4688 38BC F121 6869 30DD  58C3 38B3