Re: Service names for Debian mirrors in cloud infrastructure

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 10:25 AM, David Precious <davidp@preshweb.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 21:59:33 +0100 (CET)
> Jan Niggemann <jn@hz6.de> wrote:
>
>> As someone who hasn't substantially contributed to Debian, I'd
>> like to provide an "outside" view on the service naming issue.
>>
>> If I see that something is under debian.org, then I believe it's
>> - official,
>> - well maintained and
>> - not restricted geographically or otherwise.
>>
>> This IMHO reflects what most Debian users would expect of
>> something.debian.org.
>>
>> Conclusion:
>> If a service is restricted, it shouldn't be under debian.org.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I run a Debian mirror, under mirrors.$provider_domain as many others do.
>
> I see stuff under debian.org as being a recommendation from the Debian
> project - e.g. I'd expect ftp.uk.debian.org to resolve to one or more
> mirrors in the UK that the Debian project has decided provide decent,
> stable mirroring - as a "I don't really care whose mirror I use, as
> long as it's in the UK and performs reasonably".  I would not expect to
> see anything that isn't publicly reachable there.
>
> I see no value in a $vendor.vendors.debian.org hostname, rather than
> just mirrors.$hoster or debian.mirrors.$hoster or whatever they want to
> use, even for publicly-accessible ones, even less so for restricted
> ones.
>
> So, another vote that stuff under debian.org should be reserved for
> convenience round-robin country-based round-robin entries for
> public mirrors, and that there's no need to have entries for each
> individual host's mirrors under there.
>
> I'd say that debian.mirrors.azure.net or similar is perfectly reasonable
> and sane, and established practice already at many places.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave P

I have a slightly different view. (As a user.) If I see something like
azure.cloud.mirror.debian.org, or amazon.cloud.mirror.debian.org, I
would assume that these mirrors are blessed by Debian, and is
build/run using Debian best practices, whatever those may be. I
wouldn't necessarily assume that they would be reachable from outside
of those clouds. (Although there is still is the issue of geolocality
of said mirrors, since most public clouds are globally distributed.)

IE: I think the debian.org domain, is a useful metric for end users to
know whether or not a service is blessed by the Debian project.

Since the DSA currently manages allocation of d.o domains, then these
mirrors would likely need DSA approval.

-Brian