Re: Aw: Re: Adding cloud-init in the next Wheezy point release

Of course I meant Anders' build script, not Amazon's. :)

- Jimmy

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Jimmy Kaplowitz <jkaplowitz@google.com> wrote:
Hi Zack,

Currently even the EC2 part of Amazon's build script pulls a specific version of euca2ools from Eucalyptus's github site during the build process. It also pulls a boto patch from Red Hat's bugzilla and applies it. While none of this bothers me from a freeness perspective, it doesn't meet Lucas's criterion (A) (about all software coming from Debian). I'm not trying to make value judgments based on semantics here - clearly everyone's goal is for all of the images, tools, and _if_ appropriate the official criteria, to evolve toward happy harmony in the end.

Discussing this in an extended fashion as a tangent within a tangent of the original thread topic is probably the wrong place for it, though. :) I'm happy to report that I'll be attending DebConf13, and a non-DD colleague or two from this effort at Google will be joining me. That seems like the ideal place to get started on comprehensive progress bridging all the relevant gaps.

- Jimmy

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 11:10:25AM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> even though most or all of Debian's public cloud images don't yet
> count as official by Lucas's definition

Uh? Can you expand on why you think it is the case? AFAICT the EC2
images should qualify as official images, ditto for the Azure ones
(although I'm less on top of their build process so I might be missing
something there).

Either way, if we have criteria, it would be useful to go through them
as a sort of checklist and see who's in and who's out.

FWIW, I've clarified with Lucas point (C) on IRC, arriving at a slightly
better version:

C) the image generation tools are maintained inside Debian and/or by a
   Debian team, using usual Debian recommended practices

My objective, IMHO satisfied by the above criterion, was to make it
clear that Anders' script totally qualifies.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack@upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .