Re: Reading archives..

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:52:30AM -0500, Brian Gupta wrote:
> So it looks like the licensing on the cfn-helper scripts is the Amazon
> Software License which looks like it is not DFSG compliant (
> http://aws.amazon.com/asl/), is there any chance you could ask Amazon to
> see if they would consider releasing them under a DFSG-compliant license,
> or modifying their license to be compliant? (Or if you are too busy, I
> could ask some folks I know at Amazon, but I'm guessing you guys would have
> better luck.)
>
> I believe the biggest issue is the "Use limitation":
[…]
> If we can resolve the licensing issue, I would be willing to do the work to
> create and maintain a package.

As far as I can tell this is not a must to produce images, but would be
a nice to have. I mention this just to prioritize the issues wrt others.

That said, I agree with your suggestion. Given there is interest also on
the Amazon side to have Debian listed, we should definitely present this
as a problem, mentioning that we would like to include the
CloudFormation helper scripts [1], but that we cannot due to the current
license.

I guess the most efficient channel to do that is via James, who kindly
offered to do so. James: feel free to get me in the loop of those
conversations, if you think it would be useful. Regarding the script
sources, they seem to point to a source RPM [2] as the most appropriate
origin for other distros.

Cheers.

[1]: http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSCloudFormation/latest/UserGuide/cfn-helper-scripts-reference.html
[2]: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cloudformation-examples/aws-cfn-bootstrap-latest.src.rpm