RE: Reading archives..

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Suggestions below:

1) SSH Username: 'debian' is an obvious choice. Ec2-user is the other. Time for an informal vote here?

2) Old AMI retention: absolutely have to be careful because of this. So much notice about deprecation, and possible notification of deletion?

3) cloud-init - yes, but it's going to be some years for stable/main. Charles - your thoughts?

4) CLI tools - not initially here. There's lots to discuss with regards to packages of it; who should maintain it, what is the copyright, and where should the repo be. I would love to, but I don't have answers for those questions right now.

5) CFN support - definitely high on my priority list. But again, see 4.

6) resize2fs - Anders, I think that's a plugin perhaps for ec2debian-build-ami?

7) That's adding  a lot more work - which we can script, but I don't know how useful it would be generally. My goal is low hanging fruit first; but HVM and cluster is probably useful.

8) That's also why I am thinking of leaving 4 and 5 out of band, or to packages from backports.

9) It was not a Debian security issue - but an image generation that left a X509 key visible in the block device. Anders is adding some updates in the ec2debian-build-ami scripts right now, and I'll regenerate some fresh images tonight, will retest, and then re-release with new AMI IDs. A kind soul inside AWS found and reported to me, and took the time to telephone me immediately from the US (I am in Australia).

10) Absolutely - we want to get this right. I place a high degree of trust in generating something that is secure, and trusted, and universally useful. We can always add more AMIs (such as HVM, etc - #7) when we have everything else agreed.

11) I have been looking at that for a few weeks; I have one approach, but I am conscious of costs if it were used outside of AWS/EC2. Hence the current images will use generate source.list file using a 'close' mirror to that Region; after we have this sorted then changing the mirror structure for the next release is something we can look at. I was looking at using S3 as a mirror, and recently S3 Redirects means that it may be possible to copy our a mirror into S3, symlinks and all (that become HTTP redirects).

I think a key thing is going to be documentation of how you can take a base Debian image, and do something more powerful. Even just telling users that they can paste the following in the web console as UserData :

	#!/bin/sh
	apt-get update && apt-get install -y unattended-updates

Likewise for getting CLI tools, we can show snippets of scripts that do that as one liners.

I'll ping the list with fresh AMIs after they are available; likely to be a few hours as I have to head home and attend to life. ;)

  James
  JEB@debian.org

PS: DDs, email me directly for access to the AWS account.

--
James Bromberger | Solution Architect - Western Australia| Amazon Web Services