Re: Reading archives..

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:30:06AM +0100, Anders Ingemann wrote:
> I'll most certainly check that out for my bootstrapper. Is it a must
> before the AMIs are published though?

I think it is, yes.  For sure, I think it is a must before advertising
the images on the Debian website and announcing widely their
availability via our usual communication channels.

The AWS infrastructure is not user-controlled/controllable anyhow,
that's true, but if you start looking at the infrastructure layer nor
are user-controllable dedicated bare metal server offering. Still,
Debian offerings for the latter scenario is something we have always
been able to build using only Free tools, and I think we should continue
that sort of dogfooding when targeting public clouds.

In the interim, nothing prevents to publish AMI for testing purposes,
clarifying that we're still working on this issue (hence my desire to
have a pseudo-package in the BTS to track this kind of general issues).

I've mixed feeling about publishing on AWS without advertising them. I'd
rather not, but I don't have a strong opinion on that matter.

> I am not sure I have the time to fix this next week.

I don't think it is urgent at the point where one week more or less
would make a difference. What is urgent, IMHO, is *verifying* if the
completely Free toolchain to build the images work properly and produce
good results.  According to this thread, there should be no differences
in the results, but you never know... :)

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .