Re: [FWD:] The locale name of Taiwan

: : 而且 CNS 的字集比 任何一个 Big5 都大, 你要用 Big5? 全面取代 CNS 怎说都说不过去
: : 还是你希望 GNU 的系统, 从此进不了金融界跟政府机构的大门。
:
: Calm down, no one is taking away the CNS. It's installed by default, in
: zh_TW.euctw. Only need to add one alias in X to make Xlocale working.

Dear Rigel,

However, I am afraid that using the name "zh_TW" instead of "zh_TW.big5"
will violate (or be different to) the convension of commercial UNIXs.
As I know, HP-UX has the locales:

	zh_TW.big5, zh_TW.eucTW

but no "zh_TW" locale; while in Solaris 7 has a "zh_TW.BIG5" locale
(Could someone help to check locale names in Solaris 7/8? Please install
 its Chinese locale packages and just list the result of

	locale -a | grep zh

 Thanks).

My suggestion is, could we use the "zh_TW.big5" locale name, and reserve
the "zh_TW" for others, or make the alias from "zh_TW.big5" to "zh_TW"
if you or Drepper think we really have to do that? Would it be more
desirable?

: : 另外听说 glibc 的 cmap 格式又改了,不知道是改成怎样的标准。
:
: Do you mean charmap file format? It's POSIX conforming, but more restrictive
: in that symbolic name must be in Unicode form since glibc get rid of
: repertoire files.

So, glibc-2.2 cannot accept the locale data format of glibc-2.1.X and
use repertoire files?

(I just ask if it has the ability to do that or not. :-))

Regards,

T.H.Hsieh