Re: Debian live can't be downloaded by bittorrent (while .torrent files are online)

Steve McIntyre (steve@einval.com) wrote on 31 May 2010 22:12:
 >On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 11:08:28PM +0200, Mateusz Poszwa wrote:
 >>On Mon, 31 May 2010 16:58:44 -0300
 >>Carlos Carvalho <carlos@fisica.ufpr.br> wrote:
 >>
 >>> Daniel Baumann (daniel@debian.org) wrote on 31 May 2010 21:20:
 >>>  >On 05/31/2010 08:28 PM, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
 >>>  >> Well, I was going to do that now, but there appears not to be any
 >>>  >> torrents made for the -live images, at least I can't find any.
 >>>  >
 >>>  >as said, whoever is in charge of creating the torrents didn't do it. i
 >>>  >don't know who that is, and it didn't happen. but i assume that this
 >>>  >person is reading debian-cd@lists.debian.org, so for the next point release, we
 >>>  >will hopefully have official torrents back.
 >>>  >
 >>>  >for the current one, a brave user stepped ahead and filled the gap a few
 >>>  >days ago (which is what we're currently linking to from live.debian.net).
 >>>
 >>> If enough mirrors had these images wouldn't it be sufficient for
 >>> users? Debian has a good mirror network, and I suppose downloading
 >>> from a mirror is equivalent to doing it via torrent, *if* the mirror
 >>> has enough bandwidth.
 >>>
 >>> If jigdo is provided for these images it'd be easy to pull them and
 >>> produce the files here. It could be automated so that our mirror is
 >>> pushed whenever a new version is in place, just like it happens with
 >>> the usual images. ftp.br.debian.org is available to do it.
 >>
 >>AFAIK reasonable .jigdo files cannot be created for Debian-live because
 >>the images are compressed and jigdo requires the image to contain
 >>exact copies of parts.
 >>
 >>It is possible to make a .jigdo file which points to packages contained
 >>in the image, but jigdo cannot build such image.
 >
 >Correct. We'd need to extend the jigdo format and code quite a lot to
 >do anything useful.

Understood. Still, if mirrors had the images users would be able to
get them fast. Jigdo is a tool to reduce the load on the master and
accelerate the transfer to mirrors but distribution can be done without
it. If the isos are put on the master and it pushes volunteer mirrors
automatically they'll be delivered quickly enough. Some other distros
do it. ftp.br.debian.org can be such a mirror.