Re: Debian live can't be downloaded by bittorrent (while .torrent files are online)

On Mon, 31 May 2010 16:58:44 -0300
Carlos Carvalho <carlos@fisica.ufpr.br> wrote:

> Daniel Baumann (daniel@debian.org) wrote on 31 May 2010 21:20:
>  >On 05/31/2010 08:28 PM, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
>  >> Well, I was going to do that now, but there appears not to be any
>  >> torrents made for the -live images, at least I can't find any.
>  >
>  >as said, whoever is in charge of creating the torrents didn't do it. i
>  >don't know who that is, and it didn't happen. but i assume that this
>  >person is reading debian-cd@l.d.o, so for the next point release, we
>  >will hopefully have official torrents back.
>  >
>  >for the current one, a brave user stepped ahead and filled the gap a few
>  >days ago (which is what we're currently linking to from live.debian.net).
>
> If enough mirrors had these images wouldn't it be sufficient for
> users? Debian has a good mirror network, and I suppose downloading
> from a mirror is equivalent to doing it via torrent, *if* the mirror
> has enough bandwidth.
>
> If jigdo is provided for these images it'd be easy to pull them and
> produce the files here. It could be automated so that our mirror is
> pushed whenever a new version is in place, just like it happens with
> the usual images. ftp.br.debian.org is available to do it.

AFAIK reasonable .jigdo files cannot be created for Debian-live because
the images are compressed and jigdo requires the image to contain
exact copies of parts.

It is possible to make a .jigdo file which points to packages contained
in the image, but jigdo cannot build such image.

--
Mateusz "Old" Poszwa