Re: Plans for debian-cd

Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> writes:

>     raphael> Le lundi 13 juin 2005 à 09:54 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow
>     raphael> a écrit :
>     >> Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>     >>
>     >> > * Allow (limited) builds without a local mirror. Netinst and
>     >> business > card images should be possible that way - they don't
>     >> need a full > set of packages to be present.
>     >>
>     >> A simple way is to create a partial mirror for this. The
>     >> reprepro package has a bugreport from me with example scripts
>     >> to create a mirror with only packages listed in the
>     >> debian-installer task. The script asks debian-cd for the list
>     >> of packages and filters by that.
>
>     raphael> My idea is to have debian-cd uses a kind of sources.list
>     raphael> file much like APT ... this way you can generate CD with
>     raphael> packages coming from several sources. A system similar to
>     raphael> apt_preferences may be needed to resolve conflicts when a
>     raphael> package is available on several sources...
>
>     raphael> But imho, that's the main point of using beeing able to
>     raphael> download package instead of using a local mirror. So I'm
>     raphael> still completely in favor of a rewrite so that debian-cd
>     raphael> can download the required packages.
>
>     Yes, this makes more sense to me since you can still use the local
>     mirror and then we have the good of both Worlds :D

Reprepro can already combine several sources into one mirror
already. I use that to merge debian with debian-amd64 without
duplicate sources and _all.deb files localy. Debmirror2 will also have
that ability.

The problem with using apt-get is that it will always resolve depends,
always download all packages required to install something, can't
download packages that conflict in a single call and only works if no
inconsistencies or bugs are in the Packages files (like something
being uninstallable in sid as it hapens nearly every day).

Debian-Installer does use apt-get to download udebs and debs and has
to do some dirty hacking to get it to work because the udeb depends
are broken a lot. I used the same mechanism to build netinst CD for
amd64 prior to debian-cd doing proper builds and overall it hasn't
been to satisfactory. So if you are still thinking of reinventing a
mirror script for debian-cd better not use apt-get itself but use the
apt methods directly (like reprepro does).

MfG
        Goswin