Re: Merging CDs back into distribution tree?

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 06:16:33PM +0000, Scalar wrote:
> The debian CD FAQ at http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/ suggests this for
> installing on "many interconnected computers", but the FAQ does not say
> exactly how to go about doing it.

Ah, I should probably fix that.

> Can I simply make a debian/ directory, and just copy them all into the
> same tree, saying "yes" to any overwrite warnings? Or will this screw up
> the package information?

It is possible to copy all the data into one dir and then use the
apt-ftparchive utility from the apt-utils package to create the correct
Packages file - but in your case, I wouldn't bother.

If you copy each CD's contents to a separate directory, made available e.g.
as <ftp://1.2.3.4/cd1/>, <ftp://1.2.3.4/cd2/> etc, then add the following
lines to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb ftp://1.2.3.4/cd1/ stable main contrib
deb ftp://1.2.3.4/cd2/ stable main contrib
etc.

Having done that, run "dselect update".

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 05:52:47AM +0000, Scalar wrote:
> For some reason the laptop is unable to use the modem at a serial line
> speed in excess of 19200 baud. Any higher and the modem returns random
> garbage, while it works just fine under Win98. I assume a laptop config
> problem at this point.

Maybe check the serial IRQ settings on the laptop.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _