Re: Debian ISO (Was: Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 iso?)

On Fri 12 Oct, Ben Collins wrote:
> > If we don't, then what room is there for making the user experience
> > easier whilst still avoiding most people just downloading a whole 650Mb?
> > Jigdo should make the PIK experience much simpler, which will definately
> > help. Shall we just try an appeal to people saying "_please_ don't
> > download the whole bloody iso unless you are too stupid to do it the
> > other way" :-) , then list the options and see how that goes?
>
> The user experience is _not_ easier. If I, as a Debian developer have a
> hard time with it (and I eventually gave up after five levels of
> questions), then by no means is a user a) going to think it's easy, and
> b) they aren't going to be able to use these tools anyway.

> There should be a list of links for the methods with _strong_
> suggestions to use the PIK. Let them decide, don't force them to go
> through a freaking maze of irrelevant questions.

I don't disagree with what you are saying but there seems to be a little
confusion about PIK/JIGDO here - jigdo os a replacement for PIK which is a
lot easier to drive as you don't have to find out the names or rsync servers
or indeed any servers - you just select a file to download and it worries
about where the parts come from and how to assemble them.

So this deals with the part of the problem that a lot of people find PIK too
difficult, but I agree is irrelevant to the point that the debian-cd
interface is very offputting.

So all we need now is a volunteer to fettle the website. What's happened to
Anne B - he's gone very quiet recently, and I think this is his area.

Wookey