Re: Debian ISO (Was: Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 iso?)

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 02:32:30PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> On Wed 10 Oct, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > I've brought this up before. I went to go get an ISO, and was presented
> > with 50 questions about what I intended to do with it, and what type of
> > person I was. It's rediculous, regardless of the issue it is trying to
> > solve.
>
> I sympathise, but any suggestion of change brings us back to the original
> question - do we have the bandwidth to just serve people iso images?
>
> If we do then, yes lets simplify the whole damn thing.
>
> If we don't, then what room is there for making the user experience easier
> whilst still avoiding most people just downloading a whole 650Mb? Jigdo
> should make the PIK experience much simpler, which will definately help.
> Shall we just try an appeal to people saying "_please_ don't download the
> whole bloody iso unless you are too stupid to do it the other way" :-) , then
> list the options and see how that goes?

The user experience is _not_ easier. If I, as a Debian developer have a
hard time with it (and I eventually gave up after five levels of
questions), then by no means is a user a) going to think it's easy, and
b) they aren't going to be able to use these tools anyway.

There should be a list of links for the methods with _strong_
suggestions to use the PIK. Let them decide, don't force them to go
through a freaking maze of irrelevant questions.

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \