Re: Debian ISO (Was: Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 iso?)

In message <[🔎] 200110122043.NAA09953@blars.org>, Blars Blarson writes:
>In article <[🔎] 3BC71357.7080504@ncmec.org> rkidd@ncmec.org writes:
>>(5) Download the ISO : a burden on servers, even with mirrors, and to be
>>avoided in preference to (3) or (4) if you -must- have CDs.
>
>One question I have about the whole pseudo-image thing: how does it
>save bandwith on a system that has no debian packages available?  All
>I can see it doing is getting most of the bytes from the debian
>package mirrors, then the rest of them from an rsync server.  (And
>creating the null blocks between packages locally.) If the null blocks
>are realy a significant part of the iso image, wouldn't compressing it
>with gzip make more sense than trying to get people to use overly
>complicated instructions to assemple multple pesices from several
>different sites, with a fair number of duplicated and overhead bytes
>cause by the whole pseudo-image process?

It doesn't save bandwidth on the clients.  It saves bandwith on the
servers.  There are a lot more debian mirrors than there are debian-cd
mirrors, and they're a lot better distributed as well.  The rsync just
blends the downloaded packages into a iso-compatible image.  Most of that
process is the iso munging, not null blocks.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen         secabeen@pobox.com
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2      secabeen@uchicago.edu