Re: Plans for libvolume-id?

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 07:33:56AM +0200, Petr Salinger wrote:
>> short story:
>> - udev produces libvolume-id-dev and its library;
>> - the libvolume-id source package was introduced to provide that
>>   library without udev for GNU/kFreeBSD (and eventually hurd? Didn't
>>   check.)
>
> From #437162 (udev package):
>
> PS> IMHO, there are effectively only two options
>
> PS> - build libvolume-id from udev source package on non-linux PS>
> architectures
> PS> - separate libvolume-id into libvolume-id source package on linux
> PS> architectures
>
> PS> Which one do you prefer ?
>
> MD> I still do not care enough.
> MD> Anyway, libvolume-id will disappear in a few weeks so there is no
> MD> reason to even discuss this.
>
>> Since the latter isn't available within Debian yet (but only in
>> unreleased), one can't even try to play with hal within sid (and trying
>> to get rid of the need for libvolume-is sounds like a PITA). I guess I'm
>> gonna install libvolume-id locally for now, but I guess we would need to
>> think of either merging it into one of the freebsd-specific source
>> package (?) or introducing it (??) but making sure it's only built on
>> relevant architectures (Architecture: ˙˙ + P-a-s come to mind).
>
> It looks like the new hal 0.5.12 does not use it
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/hal/log
>
> 2009-05-12	update NEWS for 0.5.12 release   HAL_0_5_12
> 2009-05-10	move from libvolume_id to libblkid

Yes, actually hal 0.5.12 does not need libvolume-id anymore, but use
libblkid. Unfortunately the change upstream only concerns Linux, but
porting the commit to GNU/kFreeBSD should not be really difficult.

About hal itself, I have already filled a bug (#528383) with a patch.
The opened point has to be fixed first (mainly the new library that the
maintainer doesn't like should be linked statically instead). Note that
part of the changes in this patch are already merged upstream for
0.5.13.

Unfortunately, being on holidays with bad connectivity, I have no
possibility to work on that those days.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73