Re: Website and library packages

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:08:00AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> I've now uploaded the web page to http://debian-bsd.sf.net and am
> redirecting people there from the old location. It's also reminded me that
> there's currently several libs in the chroot that are just copied in there
> rather than packaged - packaging them shouldn't be too difficult. What I'm
> doing for the NetBSD-based packages at the moment is mainly just putting
> the relevant part of the /usr/src tree into a directory
> (/usr/src/lib/libc, for instance), making sure that make descends into it
> and using make-bsd in the debian/rules rather than make. make-bsd
> clean; make-bsd; DESTDIR=$(currdir)/debian/tmp make-bsd install seems to
> do the job adequately.

I read you web page, and have a couple comments about that as well as your
email:

* About packaging from /usr/src:
I had been planning on writing something similar to kernel-package for FreeBSD.
The basic idea was to do a make buildworld against the regular FreeBSD source
tree, and then make multiple packages out of it. (i.e. libc package, kernel
package, etc.)

That approach gets rid of a lot of hassles associated with upgrading the
sources, and allows people to rebuild their kernel and core system. You just
pull the new sources from CVS, and use the scripts to build debs. A lot like
kernel-package, except that it has to handle more packages.

On a related note, FreeBSD's Makefiles use "make" sometimes where they should
use "${MAKE}", so I put the BSD make into /usr/bsd/bin. Then I mangle $PATH
before running make from debian/rules, so that the FreeBSD Makefiles always
get BSD make rather than GNU. Sounds like NetBSD has better Makefiles.

* On the webpage, you mention problems with shadow:
I had the exact same problem with FreeBSD, and I see two choices. Either use
native passwd, adduser, etc. or get the shadow package to build a library (I
believe it can, but it's disabled), and recompile the Debian passwd and friends
with that. Then it's just a matter of getting PAM working.

* Also on the webpage, you mention netbase:
I'd just use the BSD utilities. Most users probably either use ifup/ifdown,
or can figure it out. It should be much easier to modify ifup to know about
BSD-style ifconfig than to try to make some replacement that's compatible.
Besides, Linux already has both ifconfig/route and "ip", with totally different
semantics.

	---Nathan