re: Website and library packages

   On a related note, FreeBSD's Makefiles use "make" sometimes where they should
   use "${MAKE}", so I put the BSD make into /usr/bsd/bin. Then I mangle $PATH
   before running make from debian/rules, so that the FreeBSD Makefiles always
   get BSD make rather than GNU. Sounds like NetBSD has better Makefiles.

we didn't used to, but we had to fix them all up :-)  it's 100% required
for cross building NetBSD.

   * On the webpage, you mention problems with shadow:
   I had the exact same problem with FreeBSD, and I see two choices. Either use
   native passwd, adduser, etc. or get the shadow package to build a library (I
   believe it can, but it's disabled), and recompile the Debian passwd and friends
   with that. Then it's just a matter of getting PAM working.

i think there needs to be a choice here.  i personally wouldn't use debbsd
unless it used a 4.4BSD-style /etc/master.passwd.  (i'm not interested in a
system using stupid broken two-file password files.)  but i'm sure that
there are people who want and/or "need" this... hence the choice.

   * Also on the webpage, you mention netbase:
   I'd just use the BSD utilities. Most users probably either use ifup/ifdown,
   or can figure it out. It should be much easier to modify ifup to know about
   BSD-style ifconfig than to try to make some replacement that's compatible.
   Besides, Linux already has both ifconfig/route and "ip", with totally different
   semantics.

you probably really don't want to go replacing utilities like ifconfig
and route... route no so much, but ifconfig certainly is fairly well
attached to the kernel...  how is linux route different?  it has seemed
to be the same as pretty much every other UNIX route i've used the few
times i've had to run it...

.mrg.