Re: Website and library packages

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 09:16:10PM -0500, utsl@quic.net wrote:
> * On the webpage, you mention problems with shadow:
> I had the exact same problem with FreeBSD, and I see two choices. Either use
> native passwd, adduser, etc. or get the shadow package to build a library (I
> believe it can, but it's disabled), and recompile the Debian passwd and friends
> with that. Then it's just a matter of getting PAM working.

Ok, it turns out that this doesn't look too bad. In shadow-foo/lib we have
a stack of code that performs the actual manipulation of the files, with
all the utilities using that. There's code there for manipulation of
dbm-style passwd files, so it shouldn't be too difficult to hack in code
to support the NetBSD password databasesand then just call pw_mkdb
afterwards. What we do lose is any ability to use the extended features
that are offered over traditional password files, but we keep the ability
to use PAM. Combining both sets of features into one set of tools looks
like a little more work :)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org