packages for base system

The following packages have to be ported to NetBSD so that we can build
up a base system:

adduser - Add users and groups to the system
ae - Anthony's Editor -- a tiny full-screen editor
apt - Advanced front-end for dpkg
base-files - Debian base system miscellaneous files
base-passwd - Debian base system password/group files
bash - The GNU Bourne Again Shell
bsdutils - Basic utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite
console-tools - Console and font utilities *
console-tools-libs - Shared libraries for Linux console and font manipulation *
debianutils - Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian
diff - File comparison utilities
dpkg - Package maintenance system for Debian
dpkg-ftp - Ftp method for dselect
dpkg-mountable - Enhanced access method for dselect
dpkg-multicd - Installation method for multiple binary CDs
e2fsprogs - The EXT2 file system utilities and libraries *
elvis-tiny - Tiny vi compatible editor for the base system
fdflush - A disk-flushing program *
fileutils - GNU file management utilities
findutils - utilities for finding files -- find, xargs and locate
gettext-base - GNU Internationalization utilities for the base system
grep - GNU grep, egrep and fgrep
grub - GNU Grand Unified Bootloader
gzip - The GNU compression utility
hostname - A utility to set/show the host name
isapnptools - ISA PNP configuration utilities *
kernel-headers - Header files related to the kernel *
kernel-image - Kernel binary image *
ldso - Linux dynamic linker, library and utilities *
libc6 - GNU C Library: Shared libraries and timezone data *
libgdbmg1 - GNU dbm database routines
libncurses5 - Shared libraries for terminal handling
libnet-perl - Implementation of internet protocols for Perl
libnewt0 - Not Erik's Windowing Toolkit -- text mode windowing
libpam-modules - PAM modules
libpam-runtime - Runtime support for the PAM library
libpam0g - PAM library
libreadline4 - GNU readline and history libraries
libstdc++ - GNU stdc++ library
libwrap0 - Wietse Venema's TCP wrappers library
lilo - Linux loader *
login - System login tools *
makedev - Creates special files in /dev
mawk - a pattern scanning and text processing language
mbr - Master Boot Record for IBM-PC compatible computers *
modconf - Device driver configuration
modutils - Linux module utilities
mount - Tools for mounting filesystems
ncurses-base - Description of common terminal types
ncurses-bin - Terminal-related programs and man pages
netbase - Basic TCP/IP networking binaries
passwd - Change and administer password and group data
perl-base - the Perl interpreter
ppp - PPP daemon
pppconfig - utility for configuring ppp
procps - The /proc file system utilities
sed - The GNU sed stream editor
setserial - Controls configuration of serial ports
shellutils - The GNU shell programming utilities
slang1 - The S-Lang programming library
sysklogd - Kernel and system logging daemons
syslinux - Bootloader for Linux/i386 using MS-DOS floppies
sysvinit - System-V like init
tar - GNU tar
tasksel - New task packages selector
tcpd - Wietse Venama's TCP wrapper utilities
textutils - the GNU text file processing utilities
update - daemon to periodically flush filesystem buffers
util-linux - Miscellaneous system utilities *
whiptail - Displays user-friendly dialog boxen from shell scripts

The packages marked with a * are either going to be removed or
heavily modified for sure so that they can be used under BSD.

That's quite a lot, but many of these utilites have already been ported.
I think everybody who wants to port a package writes an email and I will
mark on a list that this package is currently being ported. When
finished, we should upload all the packages to some FTP server [are we
going to get FTP space from Debian? if not, use sf.net].

Regards,
Andreas Krennmair, who's going to install NetBSD 1.5 and configure his
poorly supported ISDN internet access. ;)
--
Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could
buy all kinds of useful things like...love!