Re: packages for base system

Hm...

> bash - The GNU Bourne Again Shell

Mightn't it be easier to start with ash? I mean, it's originally from
NetBSD, and it's the shell on the Debian Rescue Floppy, so it's one of
the points of contact between the two worlds.

> e2fsprogs - The EXT2 file system utilities and libraries *

Hm, are you sure we should use EXT2? I mean, NetBSD uses something
else, doesn't it? What's the rationale for switching? And, if we do
switch, why not go ReiserFS while we're at it? :-)

> grub - GNU Grand Unified Bootloader
> lilo - Linux loader *

Both of them?

> mawk - a pattern scanning and text processing language

Not gawk?

> modconf - Device driver configuration
> modutils - Linux module utilities

I expect these two would be about as useful as MSDOS.SYS for a BSD
kernel... that is, not at all.

> procps - The /proc file system utilities

Uhm, the BSD kernel doesn't have a /proc file system AFAIK. We'll have
to borrow some BSD Userland here.

> syslinux - Bootloader for Linux/i386 using MS-DOS floppies

As if GRUB, LILO, and MBR weren't enough...

> update - daemon to periodically flush filesystem buffers

Hm, is that the linux-specific kupdated, or is it something else? If it
is, I see problems here...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Michael

=====
Save the internet!
Join the fight against the tyranny of ICANN!
http://www.media-visions.com/icann.htm