Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 02:43:52PM -0500, Dan Papasian wrote:
> The GPL prohibits companies from using the software and improving/distributing
> it, unless they want to give away all of their changes.  I don't see how that
> allows EVERYBODY to use the software.

No, that's not it. If you sell the binary to somebody, you have to provide
them with source if they want it (for the cost of duplication only).
You don't have to provide source to someone who doesn't have the binary,
and you can charge as much as you want for the binary.

You can't restrict what the customer does with the source once they have
it, of course -- it's still GPL.

Dumb licenses like the QPL make you give your changes back to Troll Tech
even if they don't buy your binaries. The GPL does not.

Hamish