Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 02:26:16PM -0500, Jeff Sheinberg wrote:
> The Debian package maintainer insures that upgrading mySQL from a
> prior version goes smoothly.
>
> The Debian package maintainer insures that replacing mySQL with a
> package of equivalent functionality goes smoothly.
>
> The Debian package maintainer insures that completely removing the
> mySQL package goes smoothly.

What do you think the port maintainer does?

> Just try to upgrade sendmail, or horrors of horrors, replace it
> with exim, on your BSD box.  Note - replace means remove it
> _completely_, then install a replacement like exim.
>
> Yes, sendmail is part of the BSD base system.  You have to hack
> the rc scripts to remove it.  You have to take special care that
> all of your carefully crafted configuration files are saved
> somewhere _before_ you dare upgrade it on a BSD system.

Well, sendmail is in the base OS, yes.  So you'll have to add
sendmail_enable="NO" to rc.conf or whatnot, not a big hack.

And for deleting it, I'm not sure where the baggage is besides the
actual binary.

> Strange, you brag about the freedom of the BSD license, but when
> someone proposes to play with your little toy with its neon `play
> with me tag', you immediately begin to scream that your toy is
> about to be violated by a rapist!

I'm not too sure what you are talking about.

Wanting to prevent a fork at any level is logical.

Strangely enough, if you were talking about forking FreeBSD into a
commerical product, I probably wouldn't care.

But when you are willing to work along the same lines, but just
in a different direction, you want to know what cna be done to readjust
the attitude so that we are all working on one thing, instead of splitting it.

-Dan