Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

Steve Price writes:
 > As for putting things like mySQL in /usr.  You can still do this
 > with the following command on FreeBSD.
 >
 > 	cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql322-server
 > 	make PREFIX=/usr install
 >
 > Or
 >
 > 	pkg_add -p /usr -r mysql-server-3.22.30

The point is not _where_ it goes, but _how_ it goes.

The Debian package maintainer insures that upgrading mySQL from a
prior version goes smoothly.

The Debian package maintainer insures that replacing mySQL with a
package of equivalent functionality goes smoothly.

The Debian package maintainer insures that completely removing the
mySQL package goes smoothly.

This is the power of the Debian packaging system that I would like
to have on _my_ BSD box.

Just try to upgrade sendmail, or horrors of horrors, replace it
with exim, on your BSD box.  Note - replace means remove it
_completely_, then install a replacement like exim.

Yes, sendmail is part of the BSD base system.  You have to hack
the rc scripts to remove it.  You have to take special care that
all of your carefully crafted configuration files are saved
somewhere _before_ you dare upgrade it on a BSD system.

There is nothing _wrong_ with the BSD way.  I just happen to
_prefer_ the Debian way.  That's what IMNSHO this debian-bsd list
is all about.

<rant>
Strange, you brag about the freedom of the BSD license, but when
someone proposes to play with your little toy with its neon `play
with me tag', you immediately begin to scream that your toy is
about to be violated by a rapist!
</rant>

--
Jeff Sheinberg  <jeffsh@erols.com>