Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

I recall waay back on Feb 01 when Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   It sounds like you didn't get that to work..but if you did, and you got decent
> performance, please forward it to debian-hurd@lists.debian.org!  The Hurd has
> some problems with apt due to the fact that it (the Hurd) lacks an msync()
> system call, used by apt to increase reliability; if an mmap()less apt could be
> made to work (which I actually doubt, since that memory map is so central to the
> whole library) it would help tremendously.

Actually it looks like it works ok (at least on read-only, I haven't
managed to get far enough through apt to test it fully). It's really brute
force though =). It just reads the whole file into memory and then lets
you poke at it. If you do a msync() then it writes the whole file to disk.
Probably will break when I get further into testing this, and definitely
not optimal, but... =)

You can probably tell that I haven't really worked with mmap() so there
are going to be some catches in there. Like if you close the fd after
mmap()'ing, or the file changes on disk, etc...

--
APL hackers do it in the quad.