Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

I recall waay back on Feb 01 when Dan Papasian wrote:

> It would have been nice knowing this before I worked up a proof-of-concept
> port the other day :)

Ack!!! Have we all done that now? =)

On the mmap man page, the Linux call is almost a subset of the BSD call.
Apparently there is a POSIX standard involved here, but each has added
their own add-ons to the functionality. Here is the part that differs
most:

Linux --
       #include <unistd.h>
       #include <sys/mman.h>

       caddr_t  mmap(void  *start,  size_t length, int prot , int
       flags, int fd, off_t offset);

BSD --
     #include <sys/types.h>
     #include <sys/mman.h>

     void *
     mmap(void * addr, size_t len, int prot, int flags, int fd, off_t offset)

Not a big difference.. =)

On getting a copy of what I've done -- you probably don't want it just
yet, as it is not a proper set of port patches but a big crufty hack on
the sources =). It could be reworked into a proper port patch if the
details are worked out. That said, I can still post it if anyone wants to
play. Apt needs to be cleaned up 'cause I really hosed that one trying to
make it not use mmap at all for now.

--
No one can have a higher opinion of him than I have, and I think he's a
dirty little beast.