Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 08:55:02PM -0600, Dan Potter was heard to say:
> play. Apt needs to be cleaned up 'cause I really hosed that one trying to
> make it not use mmap at all for now.

  It sounds like you didn't get that to work..but if you did, and you got decent
performance, please forward it to debian-hurd@lists.debian.org!  The Hurd has
some problems with apt due to the fact that it (the Hurd) lacks an msync()
system call, used by apt to increase reliability; if an mmap()less apt could be
made to work (which I actually doubt, since that memory map is so central to the
whole library) it would help tremendously.

  Daniel

--
Three rings for the elf-kings under the sky,
Seven for the dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

  -- J.R.R. Tolkien