Re: Extracting documentation from Debian installer

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 05:08:33AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 05/12/2021 03:09 PM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> (2021-05-12):
> > > So look around the other projects under the installer-team umbrella.
> > > The same still applies for messages in the installation - look in the
> > > templates files.
> >
> > The translation process implies gathering all templates into a central
> > location, which might make it easy to spot the exact wording, and also
> > where it comes from.
>
> If that is true, it will solve not only my immediate problem but resolve a
> larger loosely related issue. I've been poking at an idea for something
> analogous to a FAQ but made up of questions I've had but haven't seen
> addressed.
>

> > See the packages/po directory in this git repository:
> >    https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/d-i/
> >
> > Grepping into sublevel*/templates.pot for strings in English should give
> > results quite rapidly, and filenames/source packages should be easy to
> > spot in the comments.
>
> I don't immediately see how to do that.
> This is the first time I've encountered https://salsa.debian.org, I'll be
> exploring its help section which appears to be encouragingly extensive.
>
> Is there a shortcut to how to follow your suggestion?
> Thank you.

Hi Richard,

>From the README:

How to get started?
===================

  To check out d-i, you will need Git, as well as the `mr`
  command. `mr` is in the `mr` package, or see
  <http://joeyh.name/code/mr/>

  First, check out the base d-i repository. If you have an account on
  salsa, use ssh:

     git clone git@salsa.debian.org:installer-team/d-i.git

  Or for an anonymous checkout:

     git clone https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/d-i.git

 Now run these commands to check out the rest of the installer, from git:

     cd d-i
     ./scripts/git-setup
     mr checkout

  Then see the docs in d-i/installer/doc. If you just want to build
  bootable images, see d-i/installer/build/README. If you don't
  understand something, post to debian-boot@lists.debian.org.

Daily builds:
=============

  See http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer for locations
  of daily built images.

More information
===============

  For more information about the debian-installer project please check
  out the following pages:

  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ -- Project page at w.d.o

  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller  -- Project page in wiki.debian.org

  Up-to-date information on how to checkout the repository might
  be found at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/CheckOut
(END)

> > Cheers,

Hope this helps, all best, as ever