Re: Extracting documentation from Debian installer

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 09:27:50AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

>> > Using the MATE search tool I don't find such a directory.
>> > Is that a portion of a URL under debian.org?

>> > What I'm looking for  would more likely be more toward the main program
>> > level.
>> >
>> > Someone suggested running the installer under a VM to be able to grab an
>> > image of menus/messages of interest. I've never used a VM. Is there one
>> > recommended for a first time user? I have a machine dedicated to experiments
>> > so no valuable data is threatened.

>> That's from a git clone of debian-installer source code and a dig through.
>
>The primary goal is self-education. My first contact with computers was as an
>engineering student in the early 60's and spend my retirement exploring
>things that I didn't in my past.
>
>Can you point me to the code on the web?

You're looking for

  https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/grub-installer/

- that matches up with the grub-installer directory in what Andy was
looking at. "installer-team" in salsa is the primary location for most
debian installer packages. In terms of the messages you might see during
installation, look in the "templates" or "templates.pot" files.

“Changing random stuff until your program works is bad coding
 practice, but if you do it fast enough it’s Machine Learning.”
   -- https://twitter.com/manisha72617183