Re: Issues regarding input methods for Bullseye

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 11:52 PM Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote:

> Am 8. März 2021 16:34:54 MEZ schrieb Shengjing Zhu <zhsj@debian.org>:
> >I just looked at tasksel, but it seems it's not straightforward to
> >implement,
> >1. install ibus for GNOME
> >2. install other input method for DE except GNOME.
> >Since it's seems hard to express all DE without GNOME, except
> >enumerating them?
>
> I guess it would go like this:
>
> 1. install the IM method prefered by language team
> for all DE
>
> 2. install (additionally) ibus-* , if DE is Gnome.
>
> That way we would have two IM systems installed
> for Gnome, but im-config would take care of  that just
> fine, since ibus is the preferred choice.
>
> And for all other DEs we had that IM installed, what's
> preferred by the language team.
>
> Would that be reasonable?

Agree, it seems it's the feasible option currently.

But we need to add some new packages, task-<lang>-gnome-desktop, for
languages which prefer non-ibus.

Which are:
1. task-amharic-gnome-desktop, *maybe NEW*, I didn't find amharic for ibus?
2. task-chinese-s-gnome-desktop, *NEW*, probably ibus-libpinyin
3. task-chinese-t-gnome-desktop, *NEW*, probably ibus-chewing
4. task-kannada-gnome-desktop, *NEW*, probably ibus-m17n
5. task-malayalam-gnome-desktop, *maybe NEW*, I didn't find malayalam for ibus?
6. task-telugu-gnome-desktop, already has, probably ibus-m17n
7. task-japanese-gnome-desktop, already has, patch in #983653

@Release Team, could you look at this? It's OK for these new packages.

--
Shengjing Zhu