Re: Issues regarding input methods for Bullseye

Hi,

Thanks for bring this up.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 6:45 AM Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> currently we have 4 bugreports open regarding input methods:
>
> #983704 Switch to fcitx5 for Simplified and Traditional Chinese desktop
> #941624 Recommending ibus breaks fcitx
> #983653 task-japanese-gnome-desktop: no Japanese input method available out of the box
> #982175 task-japanese-desktop: should explicitly prefer mozc over anthy
>
> This correlates with Gnome's changing to Recommends: ibus.
>
> So, what's the way to solve these issues for Bullseye?
> What are the options?
>
> 1. Since Gnome only supports ibus, all relevant languages would need to get
>    an ibus-* package installed, to run Gnome.
>    Would that work? Is ibus working fine for all relevant languages?

This is unsure, since we seem to have supported languages which don't
have large user base and developers.
They don't respond to whether ibus works for them or not.
For example, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Amharic.

But for Chinese and Japanese, ibus works, as long as the corresponding
language modules have been installed.

> 2. There are of course people, who don't want to use ibus, but fcitx or uim.
>    In that case, would it be ok, to install both (ibus + fctix|uim) ?
>    It has been stated, that it's no problem, when more than one input method
>    is installed, im-config is there to take care of that.

All the things here are talking about the default behavior. In
im-config, ibus is the highest priority.
So it breaks the default choice.

> 3. Getting Gnome reverting the Recommends:ibus dependency is probably no
>    longer possible in this development status of Bullseye ... (?)

Agree, the Gnome maintainer doesn't respond.

> 4. What about other desktop environments?
>    Apart from the fcitx -> fcitx5 switch, are there any other changings
>    needed?
>
> 5. <maybe more?>
>

> There are several issues here, and they seem to be in responsibility of the
> tasksel maintainers now, being a ungrateful job, as often in the past.
> Please help, to get this done well for Bullseye!
> Just want to make sure, that several changings don't break each other.

IMO, we have 3 choice here:

1. All languages in tasksel should have a separate task for GNOME, and
a separate task for other DE.

   The GNOME task installs ibus related language modules. And the
other DE task installs the local team prefered input method and the
corresponding language module.

   This is my preference, since the choice of GNOME upstream and
maintainer shouldn't have influence on other DE. But we also respect
the GNOME upstream and maintainer's choice.

   However currently only Japanese has the standalone GNOME task.

2. Keep the tasksel as is, which installs the local team preferred input method.

  The im-config maintainer should change the ibus priority. Ibus
should be the lowest.

   In this choice, the corresponding language module for ibus is not
installed. So we can't choose ibus by default.

3. The default DE task installs ibus and related language modules.

   This forces all DE to use ibus by default. which is the most awful thing.

--
Shengjing Zhu