Re: Old-timer installer, task-sysvinit?

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 11:37:41PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Debian has agreed via the tech-ctte and via the recent GR that installing
> systemd by default on new installations *is* the *right thing*.
>
> And jessie is frozen. Since ages ;-)
>
> Please accept that.
>
> That said, useful patches for the release-notes and the installation-guide are
> still welcome I suppose - though I (personally) don't consider patches adding
> documentation for legacy init systems (with known deficencies for decades) to
> be very useful for future minded people. But I don't maintain said
> documentation.
>
> I would imagine patches documenting how to properly use systemd and make use
> of its features and benefits are more a.) welcomed, b.) useful (for total
> newbies and old farts alike) and c.) better use of time. YMMV. Also,
> wiki.debian.org/systemd should have all the info (including how to avoid it in
> Jessie.)

I added a small section with details from the bug report link and a few
other bits I found explaining how to use preseed to replace systemd with
sysvinit to the wiki.

I tested it out with a fairly minimal install and it worked fine (well
systemd-dbus is running, but that isn't init and hence not what I was
testing).

So I learned a bit about preseed, and am fairly happy now.  I still
have systemd running on my system, it has some useful features, even
if I think process 1 is way too large and have a hard time trusting
anything from the maker of pulseaudio (which still causes me headaches
all the time for some reason).

--
Len Sorensen