Re: lilo about to be dropped?

Ferenc Wagner wrote:
"Giacomo A. Catenazzi" <cate@debian.org> writes:

Does grub use the unallocated disk space near the MBR?

Yes.  As far as I know, even grub2 does so, but pls. correct me.

So next question: why does windoze installation write to these block
(but not to MBR)? Ah, ok the "windoze" in question is already the
answer ;-)

there was a discussion about poor performance if partitions/
filesystem was not aligned to the "physical" block sectors.

I also heard hpa mention this.  But this doesn't mean he is a big fan
of using this space.  Which discussion do you refer to?

I think this:
http://lwn.net/Articles/322777/
(note: windoze align partition at 1MB according comments).

ciao
	cate