Re: d-i status wrt i386 & amd64 EFI machines

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:

Hi,

>> I'd like to have grub-installer and lilo-installer default to
>> installing the bootloader on the debian partition on Macs, and that
>> requires some changes in the logic and templates. I'll try to figure
>
> For that very specific part (changes to templates and user
> interaction), I'll add some input if new wording of existing templates
> or new templates are required.

There will be some changes required to both packages so they install
the bootloader on the partition by default for the Macs. The exact
impact on the templates, I have no idea yet.

> Has anyone mentioned you that having all this ready for lenny could be
> pretty difficult given the D-I release process, the time it takes and
> the low resources in the D-I team?

I discussed that with Jeremy on sunday and I think we both believe it
can be done.

Given the results of my first tests on specific EFI issues, it looks
like d-i will need less changes than I previously thought, which will
probably make the whole process faster.

But I still haven't secured testing hardware, which is a problem. I
planned to test regular EFI installations in qemu, but qemu doesn't
boot with the EFI firmware provided on the qemu website. Also I need a
Mac to test the specific Mac issues.

In a nutshell: provided the above issues are resolved, I think I can
make it for Lenny. I'm certainly going to try, anyway.

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org>  |  Debian, because code matters more
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer        |       <http://www.debian.org>