Re: Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Am Montag, den 14.04.2008, 18:15 +0200 schrieb Frans Pop:
> On Monday 14 April 2008, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
> > I have tried the daily build
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso
> >-cd/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso of today (14. April 2008, 15.00 h
> > GMT+1) build on 12-Apr-2008 23:52 but that does not work either.
> >
> > After the progress bar of network detection is complete I get a blue
> > screen (not a bluescreen!!!) and the caps-lock LED is blinking (it was
> > blinking with the other installer, too).
>
> Please try booting the daily build version of the installer with
>     install DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text priority=medium
>
> This will boot the installer in text mode. The user interface will be
> different, but the questions will be the same.
> Proceed with the installation, but stop _before_ the network hardware
> detection phase. Instead of that, choose the option "Execute a shell".
>
> When you have the shell, edit the scripts /bin/ethdetect and /bin/hw-detect
> using 'nano' and uncomment the line with '#set -x' in both (remove the "#"
> at the start of the line). Then execute 'ethdetect' from the shell.
>
> I hope that that the info on the display when the hang occurs will help
> determine what is causing it.

I have done all according to your suggestions: The background of the
screen now is red and the last lines read like (this is all I can read)

... ss/net/lo
+ local socket=/sys/class/pcmcia_socket/pcmcia_socket0
+ local netdev=/sys/class/net/lo
+ [ -L /sys/class/net/lo/device ]
+ [ 1 -eq 1 ]
+ grep -q pcmciautils /var/lib/apt-install/queue
+ apt-install udev
+ true
+ [ -f /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug ]
+ apt-install usbutils
+ true
+ [ -d /proc/acpi ]
+ apt-install acpi
+ true
+ apt-install acpid
+ true
+ apt-install acpi-support-base
+ true
+ [-d /sys/class/mic/pmu/ ]
+ list-devices cd
+ list-devices maybe-usb-floppy
+ [-n /dev/hdc ]
+ apt-install eject
t-devices maybe-usb-floppy

I have transscribed the above message from my laptop screen and inserted
a linefeed before every "+" since the original output looks a bit more
like:
ss/net/lo
         + local socket=...

after the above line "...maybe-usb-floppy" the machine hangs and again
the caps-lock LED is blinking.

Kai